Ishtar Gate

 

The Ishtar Gate, one of the eight gates of the inner city of Babylon, was built during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II (604-562 BC) and dedicated to the goddess Ishtar. It was awesome in appearance and one of the most impressive monuments of the ancient Near East. Decorated with glazed brick reliefs, in tiers, of dragons and young bulls the double gate was the starting point for the half mile Processional Way to the Temple of Marduk. The Ishtar Gate foundations were discovered in 1899, and were reconstructed in the Pergamon Museum, Berlin, from the glazed bricks and other material excavated by the Robert Koldeway expedition in the early 1900's.